Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Eclectic Does Not Even Begin To Describe.....


I used to live up in the Edgewater neighborhood where this great local store is located.  The owner, Rachelle lives a stones throw away from this little gem of a shop.

Let me just say that it is full, and I mean FULL, of quirky vintage and antique, well, for lack of a better word...stuff.  Rachelle has a great eye, varied taste and she buys what she likes.  She prices things based on what she pays for them, NOT based on what she has seen on eBay or at other stores and as a result there are a lot of deals to be found.  Go when you have some time to really explore and keep an open mind.

This is just the lower level.  There is a floor above this one too!

Today's find was this fantastic, over the top lamp that is over 4' tall and has crystals on the bottom of the black velvet shade that Rachelle described as "Aurora Borealis".  I don't know if they really have anything to do with the costume jewelry maker, but they certainly have the same look.  If this lamp works in your home you MUST invite me over.

Is there a name for this style?  Until I hear differently I am calling it "Mid-Century Whorehouse"
I mean that in the nicest possible way.  I have nothing against whorehouses.

I also came across a mid-century signed and numbered silk screen by West-Coast artist David Weidman.  It was about 20" square and in a very high quality frame.  The label on the back is from the gallery that originally represented Weidman in the 60's.  This was priced at just 29 bucks!  If you have a mid-century home or have a friend who does this is the deal of the decade!!!



1 comment: