Monday, April 21, 2014

From Retail to Residence on Crosby Street

Full disclosure; it was raining and I took this picture from the car window so I wouldn't get wet.  I have walked past this place at 1916 Crosby Street,  just a couple of blocks from my house in the Highland North neighborhood for years now.  It falls into one of my favorite categories, re-purposed retail space.

A little research at the Rockford Public Library reveals that this was built around 1920 as the Gustav Klint Grocery.  Prior to WWII and the proliferation of cars and supermarkets, Rockford had dozens of small family-owned groceries, sometimes less than a mile away from each other.  A good number of them are still standing, usually converted to multi-family residences.

The current owners obviously put a lot of care into their smallish front yard and we are lucky to have them in the area!  If you have any additional information about this property, or are the owner or tenant, please let me know using the link on the right side of this page.

2 comments:

  1. My paternal grandparents live on 2nd Ave, less than one block from Lincoln M.S. My Grandmother never drove a car, so she always walked to the local grocery stores. I don't know why, but in my mind's eye, I see her walking to a store on Charles. When she was in the late stages of Alzheimer's, she was found walking down Alpine after having walked out of a nursing home. My dad asked her where she was going, to which she replied "I have to pick up some things at the market."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! Gustav Klimt, with an M, is the artist responsible for the very famous "The Kiss" painting.
    I used to own a retail bldg. on Rt. 2 in Oregon, + sometimes I dream of turning it into a residence or 2.
    It's very urban, don'tcha think?
    GREAT BLOG, BOB -- really!

    ReplyDelete